Paving the Way to Irresistible Surroundings
Photos courtesy of Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute
It seems to be an unspoken ritual that as soon as it starts to warm up, that’s the signal to get your outdoors ready for the season. Flowers are planted, patio furniture is brought out, decorative lighting is put up and the grill is ready for some serious barbequing.
To make sure you get the most of your outdoor area, maybe it is time for that new patio, walkway or fire pit. Colorful, durable concrete pavers provide an easy and elegant way to improve your family’s quality of life. Available in a myriad of styles, sizes and colors, your project can be as personalized as you are.
We visited with the folks at the Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI) who shared five reasons as to why concrete pavers are a good choice for your home.
- Attractiveness – Concrete pavers come in a vast array of colors, shapes, sizes and textures, making them very attractive. They can easily be put into patterns that complement the architectural style of your home.
- Durability – Concrete pavers should maintain their beauty and strength for a number of years when installed correctly.
- Maintenance – Concrete pavers are easy to maintain and last longer without needing to be repaired. If a concrete paver becomes stained or broken, it can be easily replaced individually.
- Cost – The cost of concrete pavers is substantially less than natural stone, and concrete pavers provide an equally as attractive appearance.
- Safety – Pavers provide a safe, slip-resistant surface for pedestrian and pool projects.
“The uses for pavers are seemingly endless,” shared Lonnie Roberts, owner of Stone Solutions in Merriam, an ICPI member. “They are a great choice for pool decks, patios and walkways, as well as firepits and outdoor fireplaces. They offer three times the strength of concrete slabs and their superior durability allows them to stand up well to heavy traffic and our harsh Midwest winters.”
Before starting in on that concrete paver project, ICPI offers this important guidance to homeowners. “Concrete paver projects are best built by professional contractors specializing in concrete paver construction,” said Kendall Anderegg, ICPI Board Chair. “ICPI and its manufacturer and dealer members sponsor education courses to help contractors achieve ICPI certification and learn installation best practices.
In addition, ICPI recommends asking contractors the following key questions, prior to hiring:
- How many years have you been installing pavers?
- Can you provide references from recent and past concrete paver projects?
- Do you have a project portfolio and letters of recommendation about previous projects?
- Will you provide a detailed description of what will be done in the proposal? (The proposal should include start and completion dates, demolition and excavation, base and paving materials, base thickness and installation.)
- Will you install the job per ICPI best practice guidelines and warranty workmanship of the installation?
“Concrete pavers offer an architectural style that adds beauty and elegance to any outdoor setting,” smiled Roberts. “The transformation will create an ideal space you’ll never want to leave.”