The Unexpected Health Benefits of Wine
Story by Cheri Woodsmall
It’s been a great summer. You’ve spent quality time at the lake, in the backyard pool and traveling with the family. But now – it’s time to get back on track. It’s a great time to start trying to eat healthier now that the family is back into a routine. But worry not, my dear one. You need not give up the vino. In fact, it might be a good idea to have another glass!
That’s right – get your wine glasses out, grab a bottle of your favorite red or white wine, call your friends, and get healthy – by drinking WINE! Now do we have your attention?
You Had Me At Anti-Aging
The health benefits from drinking wine come from having about one glass of wine with a meal. Keep in mind, this may vary based on gender, age, and alcohol tolerance but as a general rule of thumb no more than two glasses of wine should be had regularly. Moderation is key here, remember. To help understand some of the health benefits associated with wine, we have put together a list of the top 5 benefits of drinking wine.
- Resveratrol is an antioxidant found in wine that is known for its anti-aging properties! Its role works to remove any free radicals which can cause early aging and age related conditions. Resveratrol has even been linked to helping reduce age related hearing loss! And great news! You can’t find the same levels of resveratrol in grape juice because the same fermenting process with the entire grape is not used to create a juice. Grab your wine and enjoy a glass for a more youthful glow!
- Drinking wine may help make you a happier person according to a study by researchers from Spain. In their report in the journal BMC Medicine, they showed data that followed over 5,000 men and women ages ranging from 55-80 for more than 7 years. The data showed that of the people who drank 2-7 glasses of wine per week, they had a lower risk of suffering from depression. And we say – Cheers to a happier life with your favorite red blend!
- Researchers at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA found that red wine may be helpful in reducing a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer. Red wine grapes can help reduce estrogen levels and raise testosterone levels in women who have not yet gone through menopause. This can help reduce the risk of suffering from breast cancer and appears to slow the growth of cancer cells by causing them to cannibalize themselves. Of course, the same can also be said for also eating red grapes – so pair some grapes, cheese, and red wine and cheers to a healthy long life!
- White wine may help you lose those stubborn 10lbs. Researchers from Germany conducted a study that followed patients on a calorie restricted diet that had 10% of their energy from juices replaced with white wine. They found that white wine was just as effective at helping people lose weight as using a fruit juice for energy. Go to the gym and come home to a glass of your favorite chardonnay without feeling guilty! Not to worry, red lovers. In a recent study by Washington State University, polyphenols like resveratrol caused mice to burn excess fat through body heat!
- Does heart disease run in your family? Wine, when had in moderation, may help prevent you from suffering from heart disease due to the antioxidants it contains.
Keep in mind; you can get too much of a good thing, as all of the benefits listed come from little to moderate wine drinking habits. If you aren’t a regular drinker, this isn’t a good reason to start. But if you choose to, small amounts of wine can complement an already healthy lifestyle! Cheers!